Mary Kay Ash was a smart woman...

We've all heard of Mary Kay Ash.. yes that Mary Kay. The Mary Kay of the pink cadillac driving makeup fortune. Well, for a brief while, both my cousin and mom sold Mary Kay and through going to my fair share of parties (either because my mom was doing them, or my cousin invited me to one she was doing) I learned one extremely important lesson (other than how to apply foundation, and which way to wash your face... which I do not follow... but that is for another day)... she had a slogan that has stuck out in my mind for as long as I can remember...

"God first, family second, career third"....

When you are younger, this doesn't mean much. As you grow up and things change, it makes more and more sense. When we first got married I knew our family of the two of us needed to be more important than work. I never quite got the balance of school work and family time. Often, my school work took over my family time. Once we had Payton, I knew something needed to change. I tried last year to start organizing myself so I didn't bring work home (as soon as I found out I was pregnant) but I never really got it. I didn't push myself enough. Now... I push myself. I get everything I possibly can, done at work. I don't want to do work at home. I want to come home, relax with my family, and spend time with Payton. I even include myself as part of the "family", meaning sometimes you just need to do things that make you happy, like crafts, reading, baking, etc. We have decided that we are going to start planning things to do on the weekends because I don't want to look back and wish we had taken Payton somewhere. I have also decided that I am going to do one craft a week (assuming I want to) just for something to do for my own enjoyment. My weekends are purely devoted to family and fun.

It seems that some people don't have respect for the idea that we need to have our own lives outside of whatever career path we have chosen. If I could, I would be a SAHM and do all kinds of things with Payton. But right now (and in the foreseeable future), this isn't a possibility for us. I would give anything to be able to be with her all day and as she gets older teach her myself. I know going to day care she will learn... but I want to be the one to teach her. And I want to be the one to witness all of her firsts. And it is a harsh reality that the chances of me seeing her "firsts" the actual first time they happen are slim to none. So while I am at work, trying to put on my teacher face and do the best I can, in the back of my mind, I am constantly wondering if Payton is doing something new that I have never witnessed.

So you understand if I run out the doors at 3:30 and wish I never had to look back...


Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

3 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    I hope you find that balance between work and home...making the weekends 'family' time or doing a little project once a week sounds lovely...
    Have a great week!! (I'm new to your blog btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Work could never come close to being as important to me as my family. Hope you guys had a nice long weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana at Hancockheir:

    I am with you 100%!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Payton loves to hear from you :)